Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Pick up in checkout four

I stopped at the grocery store on the way home from work. The cashier was a high school guy with olive-tone skin and large dark eyes. He was notably well dressed, efficient and personable. The girl bagging the groceries was a bit nondescript but relaxed and with a presence that promised she knew she was capable of more than you might think. While I was punching in my pin number, she told him she had a question for him. “Can I ask it?” She didn’t take her eyes off him.

He said sure but paid attention to what he needed to do to complete my transaction.

“I want to talk to you,” she stated, “away from here. Alone. I’m going to call you. Is that OK with you?”

I had asked for cash back but when the drawer opened he tore off the receipt and stuffed it under the cash tray. He caught himself before closing the drawer and pulled the receipt and a bill out. “Sure,” he said to her. He gave me an apologetic look. I smiled, hopefully in a way that was understanding and encouraging.

She picked her moment well.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.