Saturday, December 30, 2017

Furnaces

It's been at least 20 years since I've had any kind of back pain so the fact that I can hardly stand up straight is making me grumpy. Actually, it's stressing me out because I do not want to go to the doctor for this. Past experiences have been expensive and useless.

I haven't had a chance to baby it. Last night was the last of the Christmas parties and today was a hair appointment. Because Tylenol had kicked in, I went with Mica to Starbucks for our annual peppermint mocha.

I wasn't doing badly today until I had to get on the floor to replace the furnace filter. I did consider leaving it for another few days, but it's stupid cold here (high was 4 degrees today and I think tomorrow's high will be negative something) and I inherited by my dad's worry wort syndrome especially is it applies to central heating. My dad fretted over the thermostat and how often the furnace kicked on like he was monitoring oxygen levels for the space station. My house is old, very poorly insulated and a giant energy suck. When it's this cold the furnace never stays off for very long. I mentioned it to my brother when he called a little while ago, and he was reassuring, which I appreciated. I don't know what I'm worried about exactly. It isn't the expense. I think I just learned to worry. My dad was a wonderful example in many ways, but damn if I didn't absorb his worst trait -- worrying about everything.

Tomorrow morning Mica and I have tickets for the new Star Wars movie. Since the tickets are paid for, I plan to go unless my back is worse but I don't think that will be the case. I have let a couple of friends know I won't be able to make their NYE parties. I'm disappointed that I'll miss Eve and Paul's. I could use an Izzy fix. Mica has invited me and another friend over to play cards and eat fabulous snacks. I'll spend the night and she and I will go out for breakfast New Years Day -- something we've been doing since college.

Overall, 2017 has been one giant pain after another (mostly in the figurative sense) so it's fitting this is how it's ending. 






0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.