Saturday, January 6, 2018

The wine

One of the couples we were seated with for the tasting told us New Year’s resolutions are passé, according to their daughter. Now the thing is to create a bucket list for the year. Twelve things, all new experiences, that you want to have. Their daughter started them off with a gift certificate to the winery.

Since we were the near the end of the tasting, I asked, “Are you enjoying the experience?”

The man kept his voice down. “I’m more of a beer guy.” I wanted to fist bump him.

I want to learn to like wine especially the reds, but I’m ready to admit defeat. At best I’m going to be a white wine drinker. Many serious wine people would consider this a slippery slope toward popping the spigot on boxed wine.

The truth is I’m not much of a drinker, period. I’ve consumed more alcohol in the last couple of months than in all the rest of 2017 and possibly 2016, too. There are times I really enjoy beer (at [The Band Bar] where it’s always ice cold) or mixed drinks (rum based generally), and occasionally I get a craving for single malt scotch (thanks to a friend from forever ago who introduced me). Mostly, all I want is perfectly carbonated fountain Diet Coke over crushed ice, preferably served in an insulated stainless steel glass.

At the end of the tasting everyone was invited to a private room where any of the featured wines were available by the glass or bottles of any wine could be purchased. Many people left, and we had no trouble getting a table for two near the windows overlooking the vineyard. This winery is near a once-river (now barely a creek) so the landscape is rolling. The vines and open fields beyond are snow covered. Beautiful.

When we arrived at the winery we had to wait a few minutes to get inside. There was a bottleneck inside the door as people crowded around the bar or stood waiting for a table to open up. We worked our way toward the back where there was a small check-in area for those who had reservations. I was glad we weren’t going to have to battle for a table. The private room with it’s own bar and table service was a really nice bonus.

Blaine asked if I would like to try a glass of something. I couldn’t go the red route. “Would you mind picking out a Riesling for me?” I’ve liked Rieslings well enough in the past.

He smiled. “My pleasure.” I may have dissolved just a little when he smiled. Wine is not good for my defenses.

He ordered a bottle and we agreed a bread and cheese plate was a good idea, too. “We don’t have to finish the bottle,” he told me. “This wine isn’t available by the glass but it’s very good.”

“Is it German?” I asked.

He shook his head. “Alsatian.”

“Oh, Alsace.” I smiled.

His eyebrows went up. “You like wines from that area?”

My brain doesn’t always stay on topic, which can be embarrassing. I shrugged. “I have a soft spot for Alsace. I once read that its location caused it to go back and forth between Germany and France so many times that Alsatians finally refused to identify themselves as either German or French, opting instead to call themselves Alsation, period. I don’t know if it’s true, but I want it to be. Resistance and resilience all at once.” Blaine didn’t move, didn’t change his expression, but didn’t take his eyes off me either. He seems to do that, and it makes me self-conscious. “I’m sure the wine is excellent, too.” I shifted in the chair, glanced out the window.

I changed the subject. “Had you heard of the New Year’s bucket list?”

“That was new to me. Interesting idea, though.”

“It is. Give me one off the 2018 Blaine List.”

He drew in a breath, squared himself in the chair and considered it. “I’ve always wanted to go up in a hot air balloon.” Nice.

“What else?”

“No, no, no. Your turn.”

I went with the first thing that came to mind. “Watch the Cubs play in St. Louis.”

“Not in Chicago?”

“Yes, actually, but I’ve been to Wrigley. I’d like to visit more ballparks, preferably National League.”

And so the conversation went on. I’ll have to remember how handy this New Year’s bucket list thing is for getting to know someone, should I ever meet someone in January again.

Honestly, the wine was really good. Not too dry. Crisp. I felt like I could actually taste different flavors, although I couldn’t identify them. We didn’t finish the bottle, but we did stay until it was close to closing time.

The drive to the winery had passed quickly. We exchanged basic information, mostly. I didn’t know what Blaine did for a living, for example. He’s an attorney. I hadn’t thought about what his profession might be but once he told me I kind of wanted to say, “Are you sure you aren’t an engineer?” Don’t know why. Maybe engineers are less intimidating than attorneys.

On the way home we talked about books. We both like history. He’s working his way through presidential biographies. He’s on James Monroe.

He had wanted conversation, and we definitely accomplished that today. I had wanted to become more comfortable around him with the hope that it will be easier when we’re brought together by Paul and Eve. I think we accomplished that, too. He asked if I was interested in doing something together again. I said yes.

Now I need to let the wine wear off because I don’t want to like him and right this second I’m in danger of that.

2 comments:

  1. Yay, my vicarious life is going well!

    I have to admit, though, my mind wandered off to an image of the same setup but with Diet Coke over ice instead of wine. Do they have Diet Cokery tours in lovely settings? That should be a thing, right? Why is that not a thing?

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.