Monday, June 18, 2018

A catch

I mentioned that when I was at the retirement reception for Blaine’s colleague, I ran into my former coworker, the one who introduced me to Henry. In today’s mail was an invitation to her retirement party. It’s in a couple of weeks and will be at their lake property. I had to Google to figure out where the lake is. Manmade, residential lakes are the new golf courses, apparently. This one is about a half-hour away outside a small town.

The invitation says it will be casual--catered barbecue with beer provided by a craft brewer and wine from a popular vineyard.

Hey, how would you like to have barbecue and beer beside a lake in a couple of weeks? I know the importance of a good lede, even in a text.

Sounds great. Is there a catch?”

Of course! 

I have to say it’s extremely nice to have someone to go to these things with. I’m particularly grateful this time because I wouldn’t be comfortable going by myself, and I would feel guilty if I didn’t go. She and I weren’t close but she tossed me a lifeline when I needed it.

As usual, I have nothing to wear. Although it says casual, it’s going to be a country club sort of crowd so I doubt my usual casual attire would get me past the community gate. Neither of the dresses I bought in Chicago are appropriate. More last minute shopping coming my way.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.