Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Final jazz



Last night a mess of unexpected thunderstorms blew through. They cleared the skies and today, for the first time in over a week, there was sunshine, blue skies and puffy white clouds. It was pretty enough to make up for the humidity.

The last outdoor jazz concert was tonight, and it was a good one. Lots of energy and horns and a smooth sound I really enjoyed. Blaine liked the group too. Afterward, he said the previous three weeks were worth it just to get to them. I totally agree. I’m even looking forward to doing this next year. With him. This is part of my recent plan to go for this with an optimistic mind and open heart.

When we arrived at Blaine’s SUV in the parking garage, we found that an enormous pickup had parked next to him, leaving about six inches between the vehicles. Blaine had to get in through the passenger door. He reached across and put the driver’s seat back as far as it would go, then he climbed in and across the console. He had to unpretzel his legs before he could slip into the seat. He bumped his head on the roof, one foot caught on the gear shift. He pinched something somehow. All this with only a heartfelt damn it.

I slipped in and buckled the seatbelt. “No one would begrudge you a door ding,” I promised.

“It’s tempting,” he muttered. He backed out carefully and without incident.

As he left the parking garage and pulled into traffic, he let out a breath and said in a rather rough tone. “Let’s go get some ice cream.” I swear there was an unsaid mother- in that statement.

“My treat,” I offered.

We ended up at a little stand that’s on a corner not far from my house. It’s been around since the ‘50s and is known for its thick malts. In all the years I’ve been in the neighborhood I’ve never stopped there. Every fall when I notice it has closed for the season I think I’ll go next summer but then forget about it.

We each ordered a dipped cone, mine in chocolate and nuts and his in chocolate and coconut. We ate them at a picnic table beneath a tree along the side of the building.

I asked him if tonight was representative of how worked up he gets when things go awry. He shrugged, said he doesn’t have much of a temper. He admitted his language would have been more colorful had I not been there. I let him know he wouldn’t be able to shock or offend me. An eyebrow shot up as if he might take that as a challenge. I’d like to see him try. “Embarrassed Blaine” would return for sure.

A piece of chocolate shell broke and slid off onto his hand. He caught it with his tongue but got ice cream on his nose in the process. Ice cream cones on a summer night will always make you look like a kid. I handed him a couple of the tiny napkins I’d swiped from the dispenser by the order window. He noticed I was watching him. “What are you thinking about?”

For once I wasn’t thinking anything, just feeling a lot. “We should get VIP passes again next year.”

“Let’s plan on it.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.