Saturday, November 3, 2018

Push through


Saturday

Because I’m still not feeling 100 percent I let Blaine know I needed a slow morning and would meet him and the rest of the usuals wherever they ended up to watch the game. It was another 11 a.m. kickoff, which is an annoying starting time. I could have skipped the game altogether but I had errands that had to be accomplished by noon and thought I might as well go and have lunch with everyone.

I arrived a couple of minutes into the first quarter. Blaine stood to say hello with a quick hug. His face brushed mine. He stood back and asked if I felt OK because I was warm. I was only tired, I fibbed. I felt icky but I didn’t want our evening plans to change so I was determined to push through the day.

The Diet Coke I ordered tasted good. I wasn’t interested in the assortment of appetizers getting passed around the table, and nothing on the menu appealed. Blaine offered a couple of bites cut from his patty melt, and that was enough to satisfy my appetite.

At halftime I offered apologies and good-byes and came home to nap. I set an alarm and slept until it went off nearly four hours later. I have no idea what kind of bug I have. It lacks symptoms other than tiredness, lack of appetite and a general feeling of not being well. Before I showered I took a sinus tablet because over the last couple of days it’s the only thing that’s helped for any length of time.

I had perked up by the time Blaine arrived. He checked my forehead with the back of his hand and said, “You’re not hot.”

I scrunched my nose. “You could have put that another way.”

We met Mica and Greg for dinner to celebrate her birthday, which was earlier in the week. She chose the French American restaurant that Blaine and I like. It was an interesting evening. Mica seemed nervous throughout. Greg was talkative with the focus on business and food. I tried to steer the conversation away from food to find out more about him. Blaine asked Mica how her mom was doing after shoulder surgery and how her great niece’s birthday party went (the reasons Mica went out of town and I stayed with the little white dog).

After dinner, we went separate ways. In the car, Blaine asked if Greg was Mica’s type. The question suggested he didn’t, which made me smile. I told him I didn’t think so but that they share an interest in cooking, food and small business, which seems to be enough for now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.