Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Not that cold

A coworker appeared at my door this morning. "Hey, I heard the office is going to be closed tomorrow because of the cold." It is going to be cold tomorrow. High of 4 degrees and a windchill well below that. But it's winter and this kind of cold snap happens every year. Sounding overly hopeful, he asked, "Is it true?"

I'm always amazed by the information people think I am privy to. "No idea, but I'm all for it."

"If it turns out to be true, you'll let me know?"

His name is on the mailing list so his chances seemed good.

I'm cranky this week because I'm busy but can't seem to accomplish anything. "I promise."

A couple of hours later I had a routine meeting with my boss who is the top dog of our little world. In the middle of talking about the website and the work I have to do before I put it into the new template that the mother office created, he interrupted. "Hey, have you heard anything about the offices being closed tomorrow?"

I told him who had stopped by my office and asked the same thing. "That's all I've heard about it." I didn't say it would be a sign of doom if I received the information before he did.

At the end of the day, which was 7 p.m. for me, nothing had arrived telling us to stay home and stay warm.

The post office, however, cancelled mail delivery for tomorrow.

I’m starting to think I’m missing something.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you stayed home. That cold does not sound like anything compatible with life.

    (On the other hand, I had the heat off last night and was comfortable -- anything below 40 F would be an emergency here.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn’t get a chance to stay home but it’s hard to complain when my time outside is limited to walking to/from a warm building to/from an already warming car. The good thing about this kind of cold is how tropical 30 degrees can feel. Looking forward to that at the end of the week.

      Delete

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.