Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Ice, snow, cold

View from my porch this afternoon.


I knew freezing rain was supposed to start falling during morning rush hour so I got out of bed as soon as my alarm went off and rushed through the getting ready routine. I was starting my car with the remote when I heard my cell phone ring. I didn't recognize the number but since it was unusually early for a phone call I answered anyway.

It was my boss. He wanted to know if I could get an email out to everyone from home. They had decided to make driving to work optional. Those who could work from home were welcome to do so. Everyone else had the option of going into work or using a sick day or day of vacation.

I turned off the car and sent the message, then I sent a text to Eve to make sure she knew not to leave the house. This has never happened before but I'm glad they chose today to do it. The freezing drizzle had already started and the radio was reporting traffic accidents all over the place. Around noon it started to snow. I don't know how much as fallen. Four inches maybe. Since my driveway-sharing neighbors are out of town, I can leave it for as long as I want, and I'd rather do it in the morning. I'll regret it when I leave a warm bed to go out in 19 degree air, I'm sure.

Since I don't bring my laptop home, all I could work on was the closed captioning for Henry's videos because I can access everything through the Internet. By noon I couldn't handle any more of that. I made a small pot of chicken noodle soup and watched an episode of "Victoria." After lunch I started figuring out what Eve and I need to gather in the morning so we can leave for the conference right after lunch.

As I was doing that, an email from one of the people who was supposed to go landed in my inbox. He was asking if the new person and a slightly less-new person should go. He needed the conference schedule and details about transportation and the hotel.

It's a bit late to make plans now. Eve and I would be happy to stay put and let the other two go, but I don't know if it will be possible logistically. I sent him what he asked for but also pushed it up the food chain since someone is going to have to authorize the changes.

Eve and I had to pack as if we're going, but we won't know until sometime in the morning if we're really going. I hope we aren't but I suspect we are.

Icicles hanging off my back porch. The longest is about 18 inches long.

1 comment:

  1. Now I feel bad for not walking the dogs last week when it was raining. Keep warm!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.