Friday, January 26, 2018

A little interaction

Yesterday Henry sent the eight-page outline for the next section of the proposal and just as I was trying to sort out how to write it I found out that several of our people received national awards, so I switched gears and spent a good part of the day writing news releases, getting photos and updating websites and social media. I stayed late to get a start on the new section.

Today was equally exciting. I spent the morning writing fiction, which is what my approach to the proposal has become. I take the outlines and my limited knowledge of the subject and then make up details. Before I send it to Henry I mark it up with notes that say things like “I added this; is it possible?” and “I changed this because I couldn’t source the other; advise if it’s off base” and “I moved this from third year to first, OK?” In the email that accompanies the attachment I use capital letters. “Please read very carefully; SOME OF IT IS MADE UP.”

I do it because it’s more efficient to give him something to respond to than it is to ask him every question I have as I go. For the most part what I create works.

Eve came in just before lunch and asked if I had plans after work. Since I didn’t, she asked if I wanted to go out for a drink. I said sure. Awhile later she came in with her phone. “Paul’s going to be home early so he’ll go over and get a table before it gets too crowded.” Paul’s been working out of town all week. “I thought I’d ask Blaine, too.” She hovered her finger over the phone, presumably above the “send” button.

“Wait,” I said. “We’re getting together tomorrow so I’m not sure that’s a good idea. It could be overkill.”

“Oh I think he’ll be fine with it,” she said. “If not, he can say so.” She waggled her finger, waiting for a go-ahead. When I didn’t respond immediately, she said. “OK, I’ll revise this. At the end of ‘Want to meet Marcia, Paul and me for drinks at 5:30?’ I’ll add…” She read as she tapped it out, “Be advised this is not to be considered a date and should not interfere with previously made plans.’”

“Oh, don’t do that.”

Too late. “Send” had been tapped. Great.

An hour or so later she came back in laughing and showed me Blaine’s response. “Before I accept these terms I require additional information regarding the nature of this assignation. If it is not to be considered a date, how is it being characterized?” I smiled. I like him.

“It is simply a…” I didn’t know.

“Engagement?” Eve suggested.

“No, that implies preplanning.” She looked at me and blinked. I explained, “Like a formal invitation sent in advance.”

“Ohh-K. Appointment?”

“Too clinical.”

She was starting to giggle, which is usually when we both go off the rails. “Tryst!”

“Don’t even think about it,” I warned. “It’s a social,” I waved my hand in the air, “interaction.”

She laughed. “That’s what you’re going to go with?” I shrugged.

Blaine’s text arrived shortly after. “Interaction implies reciprocity of actions taken. As it does not limit which party may initiate a social action upon which reciprocity is expected, I am willing to accept these terms. Advise all parties that I’m looking forward to it.”

Later, Eve, Paul and I were settled in a booth in the bar section of a restaurant. Blaine slid in beside me. “Is this where a guy can get a little interaction?”

1 comment:

  1. I have to admit, this is the first time I've found lawyer talk quite so entertaining. Perhaps you could frame things as a pre-planned chance encounter next time.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.