Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Bad sharer

Mid morning, I let Henry know I hoped to take a long lunch hour if he had no objections. Although my part is probably finished (little things keep getting added or changed), there’s a lot left to do and Henry has been calling frequently.

“Oh. Well. Let me see…” he said, sounding concerned. “Do you think lunch is necessary?” This is Henry in teasing mode.

I pulled the trump card. “We’re celebrating Susannah’s birthday.”

“If it’s for Susannah, by all means go!”

“I could tell her you would rather I remained here.” My teasing mode.

He gave a dad sort of guffaw. “I don’t want on Susannah’s bad side. Go. Make sure she has fun.”

She chose a wings and burger place. Well, first she chose Italian, then a quirky place across town, and finally a wings and burger place that opened not long ago. It has been a long time since the three of us have had lunch and been able to talk openly. We filled each other in on some work related items: why I’ve been working behind closed doors for a month, latest gossip about budget cuts, who to avoid because they aren’t completely over the flu. The little stuff that makes a workplace turn.

Once we had ordered and our drinks arrived, Susannah waved her hands around to halt the existing conversation. “You.” She leveled a pointing finger at me. “You cannot start dating someone, the first man in your life since I’ve known you, and not talk about him. Give me details. I have waited long enough.”

She already knew the basics -- who it is, that Eve introduced us, roughly when we started dating. She met him at my birthday dinner, for that matter. I didn’t know what else to add. “I like him. He doesn’t mind that I like him. He seems to like me.”

She laughed. “You are really bad at sharing.”

It’s true. I don’t mean to be. I never know what to say.

Eve didn’t ride with us because she had to go home after lunch to let Izzy out. On the way back to the office, Susannah asked me if I thought Blaine was going to be someone special. “I don’t know how it will go, but at the moment I hope he will be.”

“Gotcha,” she said. “Is he a good kisser?”

“Only you would ask,” I laughed.

“Uh huh, and I want an answer.”

“Yes, definitely.”

1 comment:

  1. Next time just tell her that the portrait of George Washington didn't scare him off. That should take care of it!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.