Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Over socialized

Late yesterday I was asked if I wanted to attend a five-hour Google Analytics workshop today. That sure is an offer that gets the juices flowing. Actually, I’m glad the opportunity came up since I find parsing data from GA frustrating and time consuming.

Last night I talked to Blaine—our weekly phone call to discuss plans for the weekend—and mentioned the workshop to him. Since it was being held at a hotel not far from his office and was going to span the lunch hour, he asked if I wanted to meet for lunch. “Not for Valentine’s Day, just to capitalize on an excellent opportunity,” he specified. Last weekend we’d agreed to ignore Valentine’s Day. Perhaps I came down harder against it than he.

I found Blaine waiting in the lobby when I got away a few minutes before noon. I saw him several seconds before he noticed my approach. That gave me time to have a private he’s-wearing-a-suit moment before he noticed. Navy suit, white, starched shirt, navy and gray tie. Cuff links. Damn.

When he looked up, I had a giant, stupid smile on my face. It was definitely because he looked good and I was glad to see him, but the bigger reason was I know I’m a goof and was laughing at myself. I saw a twitch along his jaw as if he was working to hold back a smile. He stepped close to me, put his mouth against my ear and whispered, “Be my valentine?” He’s such a rule breaker.

We walked across the street to a farm-to-table restaurant that has become known for its burgers. I noticed on the menu that some of the beef and cheeses are provided by a farm owned by a friend of my brother. I don’t plant a garden or even make time for farmers markets but I really love the idea of locally sourced food.

After the workshop, I went back to the office and was able to clear email by 5:00. I had to leave then so I’d have time to go home, change into nicer clothes and go back downtown to another hotel for the dog rescue fundraiser.

Mica and Sophie were running behind. By the time they arrived I had already checked in, bought a glow stick for a raffle game, and looked at the silent auction items. I was downloading the app needed for bidding when they found me in the ballroom. Eventually, I bid on a dinner for two at a sushi restaurant (won it), and two tickets to a musical (didn’t win, and just as well). My final “donation” was a wine grab bag (each contained a bottle with a value between $15 and $150). The bag I chose held an Alfa Crux malbec that Google says is valued around $50. I’m anxious to see if my designated wine drinker likes it.

The benefiting rescues brought some of their dogs and introduced them on a runway. The handlers wore tuxedos or evening dresses. One thing became obvious early: Super short, tight dresses and heels do not work well with excited dogs that may require you to bend and reach for them.

One dog, a pit bull mix, was in her element on the stage. She darted from one side of the runway to the other, gathering as many pats as she could. When her handler tried to lead her away, she collapsed her legs, rolled onto her back and stretched to expose her belly for rubs. Several people at nearby tables were eager to provide them. I get a kick out of hanging out with dog people. Most of them are nuts in a good way.

After dinner, just as the dessert auction was starting, Mica, Sophie and I left the table for a little while and sneaked to a back hallway lined with small meeting rooms. That’s where the dogs were. I spotted the person who had contacted me about buying tickets to the fundraiser, and she waved us in. The pit bull that everyone fell in love with is being called Bluebelle. Not sure I’d keep that name, but it does fit her. I went straight for the beagle, a senior who is gray around the muzzle and as big hearted and sweet as all beagles. There were two chihuahuas, a bonded pair, and a dog they’re calling a schnauzer mix but I think is an all-around all-terrier mix. I miss fostering (which means it has been long enough that I’ve forgotten how much work it is to introduce a dog to a new environment and to rules). I stopped when I switched jobs and needed to work long hours.

Sophie and Mica decided to leave without going back to the table. I went back only to pick up the wine I’d bought. Most of the tables were still full and people looked like they were enjoying themselves. I’m glad. I remember the first fundraiser one of the dog rescues held. It was in the gym of a church and involved a lot of Crock-Pots. Rescues and other animal charities have taken off around here over the last ten years. The rescues benefiting from tonight should end up with a nice bit of money to help cover vet bills this year.

I’m socialized out.

2 comments:

  1. You're starting to sell me on the whole man in a suit thing. I laughed out loud when cuff links showed up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tell you the right suit on the right guy is...inspiring. I’ll really be in trouble if he swiches to a watch with a leather band.

      Delete

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.