Friday, February 16, 2018

Two (not quite) couples

Eve ordered some zero calorie pop (soda, soft drink, other-regional-designation) online and shared a can with me. It’s a liquid that contains caffeine and carbonation, essentially. No sugar, sodium, etc.

“It tastes like 7-UP.” Eve said and not as a compliment.

I poured it over the remaining ice in my Yeti knockoff. I squinted upon swallowing. “Oh. That’s different.” I regretted spoiling perfectly good ice.

“7-Up, right?”

“Eucalyptus cough drop.”

While we sipped and then shook our heads like we were taking shots of Old West rotgut whiskey, she asked how things are going with Blaine. “Still good,” I told her.

She smiled and nodded. “Paul and I think you make a good couple.”

I don’t think we’ve achieved couple status, but I’m still getting grief about the date/not date thing so I didn’t challenge her.

She works flex hours and leaves at 3:30. Before leaving for the day, she stuck her head in my office and proposed getting a drink at 5:00 “with the men.”

The four of us met at what has become my favorite place for Friday gatherings. It has a large menu of craft beers and good appetizers. Also, the booths are cozy. Tonight, sadly, the booths were taken. Eve nd Paul were at a high top on the far side of the bar. When Blaine arrived he said a general hello to the table, then leaned toward me. “Hello. You look nice.” I checked to see what I was wearing, as you I do. A basic black suit with a filmy crinkly top. Very basic. He always leaves his suit jacket and tie in his car and rolls up his sleeves, so I’m spared suit induced butterflies. His shirt tonight was medium blue, which did nice things for his eyes.

“Should we leave the table,” Eve asked dryly, “so you two can go ahead and smooch for awhile?”

“Would you?” Blaine slid onto his chair. 

“No, Blaine.”

Over drinks and dinner, the conversation was like a lightning round where everyone had seconds to put in their two cents before the topic changed. It has become more relaxed and fun as I’ve become comfortable around Paul and Blaine, and all of us have become accustomed to us forming two couples.

Even though Blaine and I aren’t quite an official couple.





2 comments:

  1. I think when someone is a rebel and makes a Valentine's comment and you don't immediately run for the hills you're well on your way to coupledom.

    Also, I think you accidentally outed Eve's non-pseudonym (eunym? What's the opposite of a pseudonym?) in the 10th paragraph.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for catching that. It’s what I get for drinking and writing.

      You’re probably right about the other thing.

      Delete

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.