Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Banquet

Easter was snowed out. Here the weather wasn’t too bad but an hour away, where my brother and I were headed to our cousin’s, there was heavy snowfall and the highways were snowpacked and slick. I didn’t mind staying home. I binge watched “The Americans” and ate green beans.

Green beans fixed the old fashioned way was going to be my contribution to the Easter meal. I’m not sure how well a straight vegetable would have gone over in a family that loves cheese-enriched casseroles, but when I saw the fresh green beans in the produce section of the grocery store, I had a sudden craving. I suspect the two pounds that are sitting in the refrigerator should take care of that.

Today was the last day to RSVP to the office’s spring banquet. (Instead of a holiday dinner in December, we have a company-wide dinner in the spring.) Employees and their plus-ones are invited. Since I’m more of a minus-one, I dread it every year even though I always sit at a table with Susannah and Eric, and Eve and Paul.

It did occur to me that this year I have access to a potential guest, but I hesitated to ask Blaine because there’s little that’s worse than having to attend someone else’s work event.

I talked to Mica about it on Saturday when we were at the dog park. “You’re crazy if you don’t ask him,” she said. “What’s the dress code? Will he have to wear a suit?” I smiled.

Last night I dialed Blaine’s number. I think it’s the first time I’ve called him out of the blue. He sounded surprised, pleased. We covered the how-are-you basics. “So,” I started in slowly. “I have a dilemma.”

“Can I help?”

I explained the spring banquet. “I want to invite you but I feel it’s one of the worst things to ask of someone.”

He laughed. “Count me in.”

“Really?” Had he misheard? “You’re sure? There’s no harm done if you say you would rather not go.”

“I’m glad to hear that. I’m sure I like spending time with you. The circumstances aren’t important.”

“Paul will be there too.”

“Not as big of a draw but good to know.”

Today, I told Susannah, who’s on the organizing committee, that I would be bringing a guest. I held up a finger before she could speak. “You better behave.”

Her laughter at my back wasn’t encouraging.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.