Saturday, April 14, 2018

Meeting work folk

Yesterday, 75 degrees. Today, windchill and snow. Spring is fun.

I shoveled slush off the patio and the part of the driveway where Blaine parks shortly before he arrived, then quickly changed into the dress I decided to wear in spite of the cold, for I have been made weather tough by the Great Plains. Also, I only had to be outside long enough to walk from my back door to Blaine’s warm car and from the hotel parking garage to the entrance by the elevators.

We arrived partway through the cocktail hour. There were coat racks set up in a room adjacent to the entrance to the reception room. Blaine slipped my coat over a hanger before removing his own. He wore a darker gray suit with an almost-navy shirt open at the neck, and I still felt a small flip inside. We exchanged attire-related compliments. Susannah’s voice came from behind and startled me enough that she noticed my shoulders jump.

“Oh, I’m sorry.” Her voice sounded so sincere but I knew better. “Did I interrupt a moment?”

Ignoring that, I reintroduced her and Eric to Blaine, and they chatted briefly. She had official duties as a soiree committee member and had to go do important things. Before she and Eric walked away, she handed us drink tickets and let us know Eve and Paul were around somewhere.

So were Henry and his wife, Julia, whom we crossed paths with on our way to the bar. I introduced Blaine using name only because saying “boyfriend” was too awkward. I explained to Blaine who Henry was using as a reference point that time I thought I’d lost a day’s worth of changes to his proposal. It seemed to hit Henry then that Blaine and I were together together.

We spoke a while longer. I hadn’t seen Julia in months, and she caught me up on the things we always talk about. I don’t know her well but my history with Henry has connected us in a small way.

While in line for the bar, I introduced Blaine to a couple of others. I also did my best to avoid making eye contact with my boss who was moving around the room. After I’d shuffled my position the second time, Blaine leaned down toward my ear and asked who I was avoiding. I smiled and asked if he had been a private detective before pursuing a legitimate career. “‘Rockford File’ reruns,” he said. I laughed, then whispered an answer to his question, adding, “It’s been a bit of a week.” My avoidance was purely because I didn’t want to stir up a bunch of stress.

Drinks in hand, finally, we looked around for Eve and Paul. They were talking to Eve’s boss and her husband. As we approached them, I saw that my boss and his wife were nearby. I know neither of them enjoy these sort of events and since they weren’t talking to anyone I decided to say hello. Quick introductions and a bit of small talk followed. Eve and Paul joined us, and my boss broke away, saying they were going to pick out a good table.

Susannah had already staked out a table for the six of us. Marianne, the office manager, and her husband, both fun and chatty, took the other two open seats. It was a nice mix of people, and dinner hummed along with everyone behaving themselves.

During dessert, the award presentations began. There are only a handful and it doesn’t take long to get through them. Eve’s was presented in the middle. As they read the introduction and it became obvious who they were talking about she turned toward me and asked if I had done it. I told her she was responsible. Paul was so pleased for her, and Blaine, too. Blaine offered to take her out for a celebratory drink but Izzy needed to be let out.

On the way to my house, Blaine asked what had happened with my boss that had me avoiding him. While explaining I mentioned the budget cuts, forgetting I hadn’t talked to him about it before. I explained that situation too. I was wrapping up when Blaine pulled into my driveway. He turned off the engine. The interior lights dimmed but the neighbor’s motion-sensor light shined in. He relaxed against the seat. I asked if he wanted to come inside. He nodded but didn’t move. “Do you talk to Eve or Mica about these things or do you keep them to yourself?”

“I usually talk to Mica. I can’t tell Eve everything because some things about work have to stay confidential.”

“Have you not confided in me because you’re concerned I’ll reveal something to Eve?” I assured him that wasn’t the case. “Good,” he said, “because I’m actually skilled at keeping information confidential.” I smiled. I'll keep him looped in going forward.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.