Friday, April 27, 2018

Proper supervision

Susannah, Eve and I had lunch. I wouldn't be surprised if a new city ordinance pop ups prohibiting the three of us from gathering without proper supervision. All of us were punchy, me because of the small amount of sleep I've gotten all week, Eve because she's had a lot going on the last couple of weeks, and Susannah because a couple of coworkers have been extra annoying. "They're dead to me," she declared after venting.

"I was dead to you once," I reminded. "It was actually a peaceful few days." She gave me the stink eye.

The office was quiet in the afternoon. Several people in our corridor must have taken the day off. I put my headphones on and listened to George Ezra while I edited a bunch of pictures in PhotoShop. Eve banged on my door, causing me to jump. Paul was behind her. He had taken the day off too. Later I found out he had stopped by to get something out of Eve's car. "Hey, let's go out tonight," Paul said. I must say there is no better way to end the week than by going out with them.

"Call that guy you like," Eve said. "Get him to meet us at 5:30."

"Done." Why argue anymore?

We went to their other favorite after-work place. The food is better than at [sports bar] but the beer selection isn't great. The fact that I've noted that indicates how much my life has changed since Thanksgiving.

Eve and I were still in a mood. We always laugh together but today was something else. After a notable bout of jocularity, I caught Blaine and Paul exchanging a look that mixed amusement and something like mutual agreement or approval.

This was the first night it felt like we were two couples, all friends. Nice feeling, that.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.