Friday, April 6, 2018

Things that suck

The dog I mentioned is in the hands of the rescue. The rescue expedited the process because of the threat that the dog could be put down. They also found a foster so the dog will be in a new environment altogether. For now the dog is with the person I spoke to the other day. Once the dog has had a vet check, probably Monday, she’ll go to the foster. The foster has to be out of town next weekend, and I’ll care for the dog then. Weekends are fine for me. It’s weekdays that are problematic.

I had wondered if there would be a change of heart by the relative at the last second, but apparently the biggest concern was that it wouldn’t cost the relative anything. The surrender paperwork was signed last night, and the dog was turned over then.

I feel so sorry for the dog. I know they’re resilient and adjust to new circumstances well, but it still must hurt, be scary, to be taken away from everything familiar.

As the bumper sticker says: People suck.

Among the few people who don’t suck is Eve. She has been melancholy (her word) all week. Monday and Tuesday seemed particularly hard. On Wednesday she asked if I wanted to go with her at noon to see Izzy. As we walked her we talked and laughed, as we tend to do. Yesterday, Eve came into my office frequently for a couple minutes at a time. I asked if everything was OK and she shrugged, said she hadn’t slept well. Today she asked me to help her format something she’s working on. While we worked on it, we joked, as we always do. I laugh more with her than anyone else. Mica and I have a lot of fun and are definitely friend soulmates, but Eve and I are humor soulmates. I commented that I’m glad we work together. She began to agree but was suddenly choked up.

It turns out that today is the anniversary of her best friend’s (also Blaine’s wife) death. I sat down, and we visited awhile about her. Before I met Blaine, I’d heard some of Eve’s stories about her so I knew she was fun loving, someone everyone liked, which is how Eve is too. I’ve seen pictures (Blaine has a few on his bookshelf in the living room, and Eve has some displayed). She has a smile that suggests a love of life.

I don’t know if talking about her helped Eve feel better. So often little does when you are missing someone you loved. An ear was all I could offer, and I was glad I could at least do that.

Is there a bumper sticker that says “Life sucks”? If not, there should be. People suck. Life sucks. Suckatude abounds.

And that’s why there are dogs.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.