Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Election

Since Saturday I’ve been waking from stress dreams in the middle of the night and then am awake for long stretches. They aren’t the normal recurring ones either. In one I kept hearing reports that a big storm was coming and knew I needed to get to the grocery store fast or be prepared to live on one can of tuna and a couple of cans of black olives for several days (this is a fair representation of my pantry). In another one, Matthew Perry made me miss my flight to Chicago. (I had to Google to think of his last name, so no, I have no idea why he was in my dream.)

Speaking of Chicago, the Cubs tickets arrived. I still haven’t ordered a ticket to a second game but if I do I’ll set up the app first and get an electronic ticket. Join the 21st century. Except I just used “electronic” ticket.

I had a long meeting with Henry today. His website is close to launching. We disagreed on the best way to host the videos. My way is best for four reasons (provided to him in bulleted form), but he wants me to do it another way so that’s what I’m going to do. He’s the boss. I have the (superior) Plan B if trouble arises.

For the second part of the meeting another person joined us. He helps us get video footage. We reviewed the latest videos and talked about what he and Henry need from them. I added it to my to-do list. I was gathering my laptop and notes so I could get back to my office. I thought I could add a page to the website before the end of the day. Henry stopped me. He was in the mood to shoot the breeze, so the three of us sat talked about our favorite podcasts for an hour. I discovered it’s a great way to learn about someone. I would never have guessed that the video guy was interested in the intersection of the spiritual and scientific.

On the walk back to my office I checked my phone. I had missed a call from Blaine. It’s unusual for him to call during the day. If he gets in touch it’s by text, and that happens sporadically. I called him back and was surprised that he was able to pick up.

“I’d like your company. Do you feel like grabbing dinner?”

“I have to go vote,” I said with disappointment.

With exaggerated understanding, he replied, “I understand how that could cause you to lose your appetite.”

I nearly turned down his offer because I am truly running on fumes. Instead, I suggested a restaurant in my neighborhood. Once settled in a booth, I asked if he had voted. He reached into his front pant pocket and pulled out the sticker verifying he’s a good citizen. He had stopped before work. “What are the chances we share political views?” he asked.

Oh, boy. Here we go. “Not very good?” I guessed. “Do you align pretty closely with Eve and Paul’s views?”

His head bobbed. “Fairly close.”

“I’m far enough apart to feel a draft. On some things I’m the small speck way over there.”

Our dinner conversation was all about political issues. There is common ground but we don’t completely agree on much. There are bound to be times when we will step on toes. Time will have to sort out how it goes.

While we waited for the waiter to bring the check back, I brought up one thing that I feel strongly about and asked him if he’d respect that. Exercise the Golden Rule. He promised he would.

On the way out to the car, he slipped his arm around me and gave me a squeeze. “I am surprised to find out George isn’t your favorite president.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.