Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Good morning

I was early to the tire place. A guy took down my information and saw a note that said they would deliver the car when it was finished. He glanced up at me. “You must be a friend of Tom’s.” A friend of a friend, I told him.

That friend arrived shortly after. I saw him park, watched him get out and button his jacket as he walked toward the building. He was unable to see me taking it all in thanks to a perforated window decal across the front windows. If a remote control existed for this particular watching experience, I would have rewound a couple of times.

Blaine opened the door and walked in like it was just another earlier than normal morning. He smiled, “Good morning.” And getting better by the second. When we went outside, Blaine walked with me and opened the passenger door, a little thing I don’t look for but appreciate. The wind had kicked up from the south where a thunderstorm was crossing that part of the county. The breeze stirred the scents of soap and cologne into something not unlike a potion. I’d have clicked “pause” on the remote until the batteries died. I inhaled discreetly and ignored that he was close enough to reach and grab and pull toward me.

On the way to my office, Blaine turned onto an unexpected street. Two more turns landed us in the drive-thru lane of my favorite place for pop. As the window rolled down he asked if I wanted the super giant Diet Coke with easy ice. I did indeed. He ordered two. “I’m glad you don’t make me drink alone,” I said.

“I was raised right.”

“You’re very thoughtful.” I believe the tone was more sincere than he was expecting. He looked over. “Making the appointment for me, driving me to work. And looking out for my caffeine needs. Seriously, Blaine, thank you.”

It’s the first time I’ve been glad this particular location has terribly slow service in the mornings.

Just before noon a guy dropped my car off. He let me know it’s time to think about replacing the tires. I suspected as much given how much trouble I had on snow this winter. I’ll likely put it off until the end of summer.

I did consider how I prioritize my decisions when I bought a ticket to a second Cubs game and paid about the same as I will for one good tire. Procrastination bit me badly; the tickets went up since the date is getting closer. I really do think this will be the last time I get there for a long time so I’m doing some splurging.

In news unrelated to cars and guys…

I submitted a request to IT to make Henry’s website live. They said they would have that done within 48 hours. When Henry is ready for something to happen he has the patience of a kid in front of a Christmas stocking filled with candy and puppies, so that reality is killing him. In the meantime, I’m trying to catch up on things I’ve let slide.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.