Thursday, May 10, 2018

Never too tired for a burger

I didn’t have allergies until I was an adult. At first it was a runny nose for one month in the spring when everyone mowed for the first couple of times. Slowly, the symptoms have worsened. Now it’s a runny nose and watery eyes throughout the spring and every so often during the summer. This week has been particularly bothersome.

Last night I went to Mica’s to visit the little white dog. She went to the gym and I stayed to walk and feed him, and to cover his ears with kisses until he grumped, hopped off the couch and settled into his bed on the corner of the rug. He’s 9 11/12 old; he knows kisses and hugs are the price he pays for being so dearly loved and spoiled. I stayed a few hours, and when I got home I watched an hour of TV while I used tissue after tissue, then went to bed.

This week Blaine has been sending text messages when he gets up in the morning. I don’t want to get used to them, but I’ve already started looking forward to checking the phone. The messages are variations of good morning and have a good day. Today his text was an invitation to go over for dinner. I wasn’t sure I’d have enough energy left by the end of the day but I didn’t want to miss out, so I accepted. As it turned out, the change of scenery and the company perked me up.

He grilled burgers. On the stove he had a pan of doctored sauerkraut on a slow simmer. He’d added some salad dressing that’s made locally. It’s most similar to French dressing but is sweeter and peppery. It’s purpose was to reduce the “saur” and add tang. He likes to top burgers with this. I didn’t dislike it, but when it comes to home-grilled burgers, I like it simple -- a squirt of ketchup. Heinz. I have standards. Once they’re in season, I like a thick tomato slice too, but I cannot stand grocery store tomatoes.

We ate at the patio table on the deck. It’s on the north side so we weren’t in direct sunlight but it was still warm. I regretted not stopping at home to change and finally removed the suit jacket I’d worn to work. Fortunately Blaine was wearing sunglasses so the glare off my sunlight deprived shoulders and arms didn’t cause lasting damage..

I helped him clean up, then we took our drinks out to the deck. It’s L-shaped, narrow across the length of the house and wide where it extends toward the golf course. The grill and table are on the wide part. There are two cushy chairs with a small table between on the narrow arm, and that’s where we settled. One part of the house extends out, providing privacy on that side. I noticed there was a door and asked where it led. From the main part of the house the only way out is through patio doors off the dining room.

“The bedroom,” he told me. I considered that, guessed it made sense from a safety standpoint. “That is a sensible conclusion,” he said. “Others might have had more romantic ideas,” he teased.

I looked at him, looked out onto the golf course that is his backyard and at the houses on the other side, all of which are covered with huge windows, and then looked back at him. He laughed. “Point taken.”

After the drinks were gone, I had to give up and admit I needed to go home while I could stay awake long enough to get there.

We’re taking a road trip to a museum on Saturday, and in a couple of weeks I’m going with him to a retirement reception for someone he works with. One of these does not make me as happy as the other.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.