Friday, June 22, 2018

Is this the way it's going to be?

Eve was back at work! I presented her with a box of Puffs Plus to welcome her back and convey my hope that she feels all better in approximately 124 blows.

I’ve decided to keep the white top I bought yesterday. I used my lunch hour to run it over to my regular alterations person. I want it shortened so it will hit where it’s supposed to, and I asked if it could be taken in slightly so it’s flowy but not tent-y. She thought so but wasn’t happy with the time frame--I need it by noon next Saturday. I agreed to pay a rush charge.

After work, I was on my way to Talbots to try on the skirt I’d had them order when Blaine called. He’d just gotten a call from Paul who invited us to join him and Eve for supper at the bar they like for steaks. I told him to go on and I’d meet them after I finished.

The skirt is fine. While I was checking all angles in front of the three-way mirror in the common area of the dressing suite, a woman walked by on her way to a room. She commented that the skirt was cute. “You’ll have to change that nail polish though.”

My toes are currently my favorite shade--“I’m Not a Waitress” red. It’s bold and dark and slightly sparkly, and the only time it isn’t on my toes is in the spring when I always think I want something lighter and then always wish I hadn’t changed it. But she was right. It isn’t a good color for the skirt.

I arrived at the bar to find the three seated at a square table close to the bar. Blaine’s back was to me, and I put my hand on his shoulder while I said hello. He pushed his chair back and stood to give me a quick hug.

As I sat down I noticed Blaine and Paul had regular glasses of beer and Eve had a glass twice the size. “So this is the way it’s going to be tonight,” I said her her.

“It was on sale,” she explained.

It was a typical Friday night out with them. Lots of laughter and stories. Eve and I took off on our own little improv once, and the guys sat back and let us go. When we burned out and had brought our laughter back to intermittent giggles, Blaine looked from Paul to Eve. I thought he was going to say something to them, but he turned to me. “Thank God you finally said yes to meeting me.”

It caught all of us by surprise, and it left me speechless. The first thing that went through my mind was that technically I hadn’t agreed to meet him; I had no idea he was going to be there. Fortunately, I kept that to myself. “It was the best thing I ever did.” That is the complete truth.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.