Sunday, July 15, 2018

Saturday and Sunday

On second thought, there isn’t more that needs to be said about Friday.

On Saturday Mica and I had hair appointments. I don’t remember if I’ve explained that the stylist we go to books us together. We’ve been going there for years, long enough that the three of us have a lot to talk about. I asked Mica not to reveal that I’m dating anyone because while it’s fun to talk about it when it’s going well, it isn’t when it’s over. I nearly slipped up when Steph (stylist) asked what we (Mica and I) had planned for the evening.

She and I didn’t have plans. Blaine and I, however, went to dinner at a local microbrewery that’s in the corner of the city furthest from where either of us live. It’s in a development designed to feel like an old neighborhood. The houses are traditional styles--bungalows, Tudors, colonials, prairie style—and there’s a main street where the businesses, including this restaurant, are located. It’s a beautiful area, just far from everything.

We had a drink and appetizer on the patio of the restaurant but went inside for the meal because it was still hot and humid. About a third of the tables were filled. We picked one near the patio windows. Shortly after, a couple in their twenties sat at the table next to ours. They were clearly on their first date, and she was beaming. I leaned close and quietly asked Blaine if he thought people at the winery we went to in January knew we were on a first date. He replied, “I’m sure we fooled them since only one of us was on a date.”

I nudged his knee with mine. I’ll never live it down.

Today, Mica and road tripped to return something I’d bought a month ago and then decided I didn’t want. We had lunch at our favorite Italian restaurant. They were having a couple of issues, one with the air conditioning and the other with the plumbing or sewer or both. They’ve also changed the way they prepare the meals we always order, and neither was good. I didn’t finish mine, nor did I bother to bring the remainder home.

I was just getting home when I received a text from Blaine inviting me over for dinner. This week we definitely broke a record of time spent together. I asked him what he used to ask me all the time: Are you getting tired of me yet? Fortunately, he said no.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.