Sunday, August 5, 2018

Shattered glass

My kitchen is small and has three doorways--from the living room, the outside landing and an enclosed back porch. The refrigerator is in the corner nearest the door to the back porch. That door is an old wooden thing with a square window in the middle of it. It’s a useless door--no lock, not a great seal anymore--but it serves its purpose and it has a window that allows light in provides a view of the back yard. That window is half the size it was this morning.

I pulled hard to open the freezer door of the refrigerator. It slipped out of my hand and swung wide, the handle hitting the door to the porch and breaking the heck out of the window.

Once I swept up the glass, I covered the gaping hole using cardboard and blue painting tape. It’s charming.

I measured the opening so I would know what size of pane to order, but I didn’t trust myself that it was accurate. My brother usually helps me out with such things. I called but he wasn’t home. I called Mica next. The trouble was it appears that the glass slips into a groove but I can’t tell how deep the groove is. After we had Googled for awhile, Mica asked why I didn’t ask Blaine to help.

Oh.

I sent a text. He called. “Did you cut yourself?” he checked.

“Nah, it isn’t as bad as that. I’m not without hope yet,” I answered. There was a pause before a small laugh.

He remeasured, and I entered the measurements in a note on my phone so I’d have them with me tomorrow when I used my lunch hour to go to a glass place that’s near my house. Blaine offered take care of it, saying it’s closer to his office than mine. “OK,” I said appreciatively, leaving the but I really can do it myself inside my head.

We went to a DIY store to pick up what Blaine will need to install the glass. While we were there I picked up a new blade for the bow saw and a package of furnace filters. Although it hadn’t been my intention that he do anything with either item, he swapped out the saw blade and changed the furnace filter. He spotted my yard tools and checked over the hedge shears and loppers. He took the shears home to sharpen the blades.

I rather love that he knows his way around glass replacement and blade sharpening. It's also pretty nice that he wants to help me. I'm getting in deeper and deeper.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.