Sunday, October 21, 2018

Limbs

Sunday

Last Sunday it snowed. A few inches of heavy fluff stuck to the leaves on the trees, weighing down the branches and breaking some. Neither Eve and Paul nor Mica had any significant breaks, but a tree in Allison and Ty’s back yard took a hit. One large limb ripped off and dropped into the yard. It didn’t damage any property but the canopy fell across part of Eli’s playset, making it off limits. All week. Forever for a 4 year old.

Ty decided to handle the removal himself rather than have a tree trimming company come in, but it was a busy week and he didn’t get to it. It has been the source of increasing frustration for Allison.

This afternoon Blaine went over to help clean it up. I asked if I could help, too. It has been a lazy week, and I knew fresh air and putting effort into something would be good.

When I arrived, Blaine was using the large chainsaw to trim off the main branches and Ty was using a smaller one to strip those pieces of branches with leaves. Allison and I used loppers to cut the small stuff up so it would fit into paper garden bags. With four of us working, it took a little over four hours to get it cleaned up. Allison and Ty wanted to take us out to dinner. I declined because I needed to get back to Chloe, and I still had to pack and load my car before Mica got home.

Blaine walked me out to my car. He smelled like sunshine and was covered in sawdust. I brushed a bit off his shirt. “This lumberjack look is a close second to suits.” As it was coming out of my mouth, I knew I had just blown it.

I don’t know if he smiled at what I said or the Oh, crap expression I likely had on my face. “You like how I look in a suit?”

“Of course!” Doesn’t everyone? What a silly question. Ha ha…  Be cool. And suddenly I was a dog who just spotted a tennis ball, and it was all over. He took full advantage.

“This is new information.”

“No it isn’t. I’ve told you how nice you look on numerous occasions when you’ve been wearing a suit.”

“True.”

“And I remember using “handsome” to describe you, too.”

“You have, yes, and I appreciate that.” Head tilted down, he watched me, a playful smirk letting me know he was going to have a little fun. “Any other adjectives come to mind?”

“For you? Right at this moment? Uh huh.” My tone was dry, my cheeks hot.

He laughed. “We’ll revisit this the next time I’m dressed appropriately.”

“Can’t wait.” And, really, I can’t, but he doesn’t need to know that.



1 comment:

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.