Saturday, October 20, 2018

The win

Saturday

Blaine and I went to the tailgate. The atmosphere all over Tailgate Village (as I now think of downtown on game days) was optimistic and enthusiastic in spite of the team having lost every game so far.

As we were walking from the parking lot, we were behind some of our fans and some of the opposing team’s fans. One of the visitors tried to stir up something with a comment about our team’s new record of most consecutive losses in a season. I braced, unsure how it was going to go. Fortunately, our fans shrugged it off, saying it has been tough but the team is working hard and things will turn. The visitor who had made the remark clapped the guy on the back and said it’s been hard to see the program suffer as it has and he wished them luck...after today’s game.

Fortunately, the luck came in time for today’s game and we won. It was a lot of fun to watch it surrounded by thousands of excited tailgaters. At one point the cheering from blocks in every direction was so loud it felt like a vibration.

We left as soon as the game ended because I had already left Chloe longer than is wise. As we drove across town we heard boom...boom...boom from fireworks being set off to celebrate the win. It’s usually the type of celebration that follows championship games.

Eve and Paul weren’t at the tailgate because they had another event to attend. They really need to get back into a routine that benefits me.

I talked to Kim quite a bit. She told me they bought a mid-century ranch last fall and have spent this year restoring it. I immediately pictured a pink tile bathroom with matching sink and toilet. Surely not. I hope. I’ve never been drawn to the mid-century modern look so my ability to appreciate some of the styles of that time is limited. Kim said they are going to throw a ‘50s themed Christmas party to celebrate the completion.

She said she’s been going to estate sales every week to find period glassware for the party. I asked if she was looking for the atomic amoeba boomerang pattern. She clenched my arm. “Are you a mid-centurist?” Is that a real thing, I wondered. Either way, I’m not. I told her my favorite aunt had a set of old-fashioned and highball glasses with that pattern in black and gold, and my fondness for the pattern comes from the memories it brings back. She and John are collecting the pattern in gold and turquoise. They’re trying to find them at estate sales and auctions rather than antique stores or Ebay where the prices are higher. They've also been picking up period Christmas decorations. We talked a long time about that. If there’s one thing I know it’s vintage Christmas decorations and, in my opinion, the best come from the ‘50s. I'm looking forward to the party.

On the way to Mica's I mentioned the Christmas party to Blaine. That segued into what our social calendars look like around the holidays. Mine is a blank slate. His isn’t. There are two parties that he always attends--the firm’s office party and one thrown by a partner. For the first time I hoped he wouldn’t include me in his plans.

“Be my date for them?” he asked.

Well, damn. I looked over at him, considering. “Promise to get me into Kim and John’s party?” I asked.

He smiled. “I promise.”

“All right then.”

How am I going to find two appropriate Christmassy outfits by December?


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.