Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Allison's birthday

Wednesday

“My dad?” Allison’s hand was suspended mid air, not quite reaching the drink in front of her. “Baked a pie?”

Blaine appeared to be working hard at not reacting. Knowing what I do about him, the reaction would be more amusement than annoyance, although it was the latter he was trying for.

Today is Allison’s birthday and Blaine took the family out to dinner. As is becoming the custom, I was included. She asked if I could join them for Thanksgiving. I won’t because my family is also having a noon dinner, but I will see Blaine that evening. His sister, Annie, asked to meet me. (She learned about me when she asked Henry how he knew Blaine and Paul.) We’re going to gather at Blaine’s for dessert at whatever time ends up working.

“Making more pies, Dad?” Allison asked him.

“I might,” he answered. Under the table his leg bumped against mine in what I assumed was a Thanks a lot for bringing that up but then he let it rest there and I interpreted it as something else.

Allison collects a line of figurines. Her mom asked Blaine to continue the tradition of giving her a new one for her birthday, which he’s done. When he passed that gift bag to Allison, he told her, “From Mom, with lots of love.” I nearly dissolved. That’s a lovely tradition.

Eli is making his church singing debut on Sunday. The preschoolers are joining the children’s choir for one song before the service and another during communion. The first one will be in front of the congregation, while the other will be from the choir loft. He’s psyched about getting to be up above everyone. He invited me to come, and Allison did too, and Blaine said I would be welcome. So, going to church on Sunday.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.