Sunday, November 18, 2018

Eli's debut

Sunday

Blaine picked me up just after 8:00 this morning for church. I had told him to stick to his normal routine, and that meant going early and having a cup of coffee in the social hall.

It’s a newer church, more modern than the old, traditional church I grew up attending. I’ll always miss soaring stained glass windows and beautiful light fixtures hanging down from the ceiling, but there is something to be said for new cushioned pews.

It was a children’s Sunday, meaning the kids contributed to the duties usually fulfilled by adults. The younger kids helped usher prior to the service. The older kids helped with communion and provided the readings. All sang

Eli looked scared to death standing in the front row in front of everyone. He kept his arms plastered against his body, his little hands in fists, but he kept his attention on the choir director and he sang, which is more than some of the younger ones were able to do. Each age group had a couple of lines that they sung on their own. Those little voices are the sweetest. So earnest and loud.

After the service, Eli came bounding toward where Blaine and I were standing talking to Maggie and Terry. “Grandpa, did you hear me?” Blaine told him he was proud of him. I melted. Those two together are a sweet thing.

We all went out to lunch. Eli chose the restaurant, a sandwich place that serves macaroni and cheese as a side. Apparently Eli is all about creamy, cheesy macaroni.

Blaine dropped me off. I needed a day to catch up on laundry and to do some other cleaning. Nothing gets done anymore. I asked Blaine how he keeps his home dust free and pristine all the time. Cleaning service. Of course.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.