Monday, November 19, 2018

Ho. Ho. Ho.

Monday


“You’re dead to me.”

I’ve been dead to Susannah so many times, the announcement didn’t even interrupt my typing. I gave her a slight shrug. “My life is more serene when I’m dead to you.”

Susannah and I have the same boss. Last Friday he asked me to help organize an in-office holiday party, and then he asked Susannah. I said, “Your name was already on his list.”

“Uh huh.” It came out as a knowing growl.

“Since this thing is supposed to be fun, I volunteered Eve. Your name didn’t even pop into my mind.” She laughed. I told her, “We do need you. You’re the triangle to our squiggles.”

One time Eve told us about a book she read that described personality types. She and I are squiggles--approach things from a different angle than everyone else, lots of ideas and enthusiasm but hard to keep on track. Susannah is a triangle, which is someone comfortable in a leadership position, wants to get things done and move on.

Three others were asked to be part of this party planning group, but only one responded and that was with, “Just tell me what you want me to do.”

The group here used to be a lot more engaged. Last year, the year of impending layoffs, really changed attitudes. This little shindig isn’t going to change them back, but we’ll try.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.