Friday, November 23, 2018

The football season ends

Friday


I don’t know what day it is. Today feels like Saturday because there was a football game. In fact, when the invitation went out to meet the usuals at a sports bar, I replied that I may need to leave early because of Lainey’s party. Eve and Blaine both brought me back to the correct day.

The game didn’t get interesting until the fourth quarter. There was plenty of time before then to chat with Eve and Paul’s daughter. She has a cool science-y job where she gets to do things like hang from a harness. Sometimes she does things that require snake-proof chaps.

I got in on a conversation Eve was having with Kim about appetizer recipes popular in the ‘50s. Kim has been looking for ideas for their Christmas party. She said she bought an issue of Kitchen Klatter from the early sixties from an antique store and now is obsessed with them. (Think of them as an early blog in printed form. The woman behind it wrote about her family, garden, crafts and whatever she was making in the kitchen.)

I didn’t let on that I knew anything about them because now I have the perfect hostess gift. Years ago I bought a big box of the publications at an estate sale. I paid $5 for the box. At the time, one issue sold for $7-12 on Ebay, and I thought I might sell them that way. I never pursued selling on Ebay, and the box has been sitting in a closet since. The issues I have are mostly from the ‘50s. In fact, I have two full sets from the same year--1954, maybe. I’ll give her a set.

Eli was with his grandma for the day so Allison and Ty came to watch the game with everyone. At halftime, Allison pulled me aside. She was feeling bad that I wasn’t being included in their Christmas decorating tradition. I reassured her that I understood and wasn’t bothered by it. There is no part of what she’s feeling that I can’t relate to. I told her it’s a family tradition and should stay a family tradition.

The football team lost in the final seconds. I find I’m looking forward to next season. I don’t recognize myself anymore.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.