Saturday, December 29, 2018

Out of the house

Saturday


I met Allison, Eve and Eve’s daughter, Caitlin, for coffee this morning. Conversation was challenging because my voice is still weak. At full volume it is a raspy whisper.

Allison filled me in on Eli's church program and their Christmas gatherings. I thought Blaine had done a nice job of giving me the details but women are much better at that sort of thing.

I enjoyed having a chance to talk to Caitlin. I know her better than she knows me because Eve tells me what she’s up to and what’s going on with her boyfriend.

Mostly, it was good to be out of the house and to laugh again.

Eve asked if Blaine and I are going to Maggie and Terry’s New Year’s Eve party. All I know is Blaine made dinner reservations for us. Beyond that I don’t know what he has planned. For four days, our brief conversations consisted of health updates and whether or not I needed more tissues, cough syrup or soup. I was happy to turn New Year’s Eve plans over to him.

Tonight was the first time Blaine and I have been together since he brought me pop and a hug on my birthday. I realize it has only been a week, but it’s been some time since we’ve gone a week without seeing one another.

In May, at the time of Blaine’s birthday, we agreed not to exchange gifts this year. I also told him we could skip celebrating my birthday altogether because there’s too much going on and no reason to add more to the mix. He didn’t get on board with that so tonight to honor my birthday he cooked the dinner of my choice and surprised me with a red velvet cake from a bakery I like. I picked a very special bland menu since my appetite hasn’t come back yet. We had a Parmesan crusted salmon filet, mashed potatoes and roasted carrots. The carrots concerned him. If I didn’t want roasted Brussels sprouts, did I need to be life-flighted to the hospital for tests and observation?

After dinner, with the lights dimmed, the fireplace on and the Christmas tree lit, we exchanged gifts. The funny thing is we both picked something from the art festival. He gave me the copper heart necklace I had admired. In a second box was a white-gold chain, nicer than the one that came with the necklace. He said he noticed how long I had looked at it so he went back the next day for it. He also said some nice things about why a heart was appropriate.

He was very surprised but pleased to see the painting. He recognized it and said it has crossed his mind a couple of times since the festival. It looks like it will hang in the dining room.

Christmas was a long time coming but the wait was worth it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.