Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Asteroid

I’ve been working with my door closed for about a week so I can focus on Henry’s proposal. Today I started to feel like a shut-in. I left it part way open while I ate my lunch. Eve noticed and came in. She saw me staring at the computer. “Are you working?”

“No.” I turned my chair so I was facing her. “Reading an article about space law and asteroid mining.” She looked at the screen to see if I was joking. I’ve been focusing on one subject for so long that I’m craving new information, and space law is cool.

Eve asked,  “Do you and Blaine spend all your time talking about torts and motions?”

“We did discuss tortes once but decided against dessert.” I laughed. She laughed.

“Hey, did you tell him to bring me Diet Coke when I was taking care of Izzy?” I don’t know what made me blurt that, though I’ve always wondered.

She looked surprised. “What’s this?” I told her about that afternoon. She said that was all him, except she had probably revealed that I liked Diet Coke. I wondered why that would have come up but didn’t ask.

“I think you told him a lot more about me than you told me about him. You owe me.”

She smiled and sat down. “What do you want to know?”

I asked the only thing that came to mind. “Is he real?”

“Real and the real deal.”

“Is he asking me out because of me or you?”

Her smile was kind. She doesn’t know a lot about the me I prefer not to share but I suppose she has put together enough pieces. “It’s you, I promise.”

“Thanks for being so tenacious.”

“Two years!” She stood and left my office. “I could have mined an asteroid in less time.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.