Tuesday, February 20, 2018

The second cut

Except for waking to a thick covering of sleet, today was an improvement over yesterday.

The guy with the video file that I’ve been having trouble with offered to send just the clips I needed. He uploaded them overnight, and this morning I was ecstatic to discover that both would import into the editing program. I was able to put together the video Henry originally wanted. I had time to improve the title graphics and add the appropriate logo and identification at the end. It isn’t going to win any awards, but it looks a lot less like the equivalent of a summer-camp ashtray. Henry was pleased. What can I say, it pays to lower expectations first.

With that project squared away I felt I could stretch the lunch hour by a little bit to attend a luncheon hosted by a professional group I belong to. I tend to avoid these things because the idea of networking awakens every rebellious molecule in my body. The speaker, though, was too good to pass up.

He’s an engineer who specializes in robotics and has developed micro surgical instruments. He spoke at another luncheon I attended several years ago. I was instantly captivated and have wanted to hear more from him.

Today he spoke about creativity (“Never measure; cut twice. Creativity exists in the second cut.”) and how failures are the best way make progress (“When I go home and am in a really good mood, my wife will ask, ‘What did you fail at today?’”)

Failures, he said, are small wins because you learn something. It might be what not to do next time but it’s as likely you’ll learn what you want to try next time. That next time is a little bet -- a small risk that won’t cause too much damage or set you too far back if it doesn’t work. When a little bet works, it’s a little win. You can’t get discouraged when you keep winning. Eventually all those wins amount to a big freakin’ win.

It was a good message at the right time. If only he could stop by my office every day to keep me inspired.

1 comment:

  1. Nice! I'm thinking of creating a daily list of what I've attempted each day, just to keep myself on track. Maybe it will work...

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.