Monday, September 3, 2018

Not broken

Mica called early to see if I wanted to get breakfast. Before she could ask I heard loud noises and Mica cry out. She had tripped over the edge of the new carpet protector under her office chair. I heard, “I fell. I thinks it’s broken.” I told her I was on my way, and I was. Izzy barely got a goodbye. I had already fed her and she had been outside twice, although I wasn’t sure she had bothered to do anything since it was raining.

I made good time getting across town. When I arrived, Mica had ice packs on her elbow and knee. She no longer thought anything was broken but agreed to have X-rays. Sophie arrived as we were about to leave. The three of us went to urgent care.

Nothing was broken but everything is bruised badly. Since Mica’s bed is a flight of stairs away she‘s going to stay with Sophie until she can manage them again. I said I could stay with the little white dog because Sophie’s yard isn’t secure enough for him to go out unsupervised. Sophie wanted him to go to her house. I helped load his stuff and him and packed for Mica. All is well and taken care of.

A couple of things were said during all of this that hurt my feelings badly. I should be getting used to it but never will.

I drove back to Izzy. There’s no reason why she shouldn’t have had an accident, but she’d held it. After taking her for a well-deserved walk, I jumped into the shower. I had hair and makeup finished but hadn’t yet dressed when Blaine arrived to pick me up. It only took a few minutes for me to finish, and we weren’t late leaving but I was frazzled. He couldn’t have been less bothered that I hadn’t been ready. It’s exactly what I needed.

Blaine has a friend, someone he’s known since law school, who is terminally ill. I was introduced to him at Blaine’s birthday party. He had mentioned then that we should double date sometime. I don’t think his relationship went the way he hoped, so it didn’t happen. Recently he told Blaine he’d like to meet me—have a chance to talk some. We spent a few hours with him today and had a good time.

Blaine waited with me until Paul and Eve got home. It was a quiet couple of hours. Izzy slept on the couch. We sat on the loveseat and looked out the front window. We talked some but mostly stayed with our thoughts.

Now I’m home and doing laundry. I’ll get just enough done to see me through a couple days of work. I hate to see what this week will bring.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.